Tuesday, October 13

Hx - Fine print

I miss poetry.  I miss the freedom to be serious, to care deeply and use bold phrases.  I miss long skirts and short hair.  I miss staying up too late.  I miss being able to easily resist the normalising pull of community, of society.  I miss feeling tied to the sun.  Sometimes I don't want to be accomplished, I don't want to be a runner with good grades, nice smile, so agreeable, well-liked, walking obituary.  I want fire.  I want to startle people.  I want courage - the courage to be outcast and honestly known.  I want to stand in the courtyard and be silent with the sky and my God and not tolerate interruptions.

I miss part of myself.  You never realise the cost of dedication until you are already handing it over.  Will I ever write again?  Will I ever be struck by the beauty of the night, or will I simply sigh and go back to dreamlessness?


I miss having a shaved head.  A lot.  I worry that my career will make me into a collage of myself, bits and pieces strung together, nothing at all when you look closely.  Fragments.  Exhaustion.