Thursday, September 3

Hx - School, School, School.

To begin, I suggest you look up 'giraffe in quicksand' on Youtube.  It serves as a good summary of the first year of school.

I'm losing all sense of time, which for someone with as regimented a schedule as I have, is stressful and frustrating.  As one of my classmates said, "The days are long but the weeks are short," which is sort of right and basically means that I can't remember something that happened this morning, but feel like it's only been two days since three weeks ago.  But an eternity since summer, which was... actually, I think that was three weeks ago.  or four.  three.  four.  mmmph.  [shakes head to clear it]

I am slowly losing my home life and have lost what little social life I had.  This is stage 1 of the medical student transition.  Stage 2 is when I find myself growing a new life that is simultaneously home life and social life, and is one with medical school and the people in it.  I AM FIGHTING THIS.  Most medical students lose all ties to the outside world and then, attention-starved, turn to each other (and then - stage 3 - eventually on each other.  I never said this was healthy, just codependent).  I think the downward slide is inevitable but I'm still resisting.  For instance, I am frequently home for dinner, and so far I have ALWAYS been home before 10pm.  I have to see Matt or I'll go postal and kill everyone.  Staying in limbo like this is sort of painful, though, and it's sort of costing me friends all the time, which sometimes doesn't matter to me and sometimes makes me sad.  Whatever, I never made friends easily.  I'm just not used to having to try and unsure if I feel like making the effort.

OMM is still the coolest thing I've ever seen or heard of, though.  I can't wait to start really learning.  Yesterday was the supremely awkward Day of Major Anatomical Landmarks, where we palpated everything from the clavicles to the ankle bones to the sacrum and pubic bones.  Yes, on each other.  Yes, regardless of gender.  Yes, even more awkward things loom in our collective future.  Next semester in OMM is all pelvic and sacral work.  Awkward, but also still the coolest thing ever.

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh....you said you guys will palpate the pubic bone O_o LOL. Oh gosh, I don't know what I'm in for this summer. Reading your blog posts have been so interesting, entertaining, and informative. I've heard several times that you just can't prepare yourself for medical school, and so I am not even trying.

    Thanks your sharing your personal journal entries.

    -V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Are you starting at an osteopathic school? If not, then you won't have to do what we did. Or... you're not starting at MY school, are you? I need some information here, help me out!

      No, you can't prepare yourself for med school. Just sleep and eat and work out. Tan. Don't study, it won't help. Good luck!

      Delete