Wednesday, September 23

Hx - Anatomy lab is full of The Ick.

Things are moving along.  I had my first true gross-out moment in anatomy lab yesterday; we were cutting the front of the chest wall (read: rib cage) our so we could dissect out the heart and lungs and surrounding bits.  Watching them cut through the ribs wasn't too bad, but then the instructor started pressing down on them to make sure he'd cut all the way through and the ribs started breaking... instant full-body shudders.  It was terrible.  And then we had to suction fluid out of the cavities of the lungs... ugh.  Ugh!  I can't even tell you.  And I was shocked.  I mean, medical students aren't supposed to get grossed out by things, right?  But after talking to some of my classmates I don't feel so bad.  Turns out this is a pretty standard thing; it's just different for everyone.  One girl dry heaves every time someone pulls a blood clot out of a vein.  This one guy almost passed out when we had to skin part of the body for the first time.  But somehow I've never heard anyone acknowledge that cadaver lab is just sort of... gross.  Useful, yes, but also icky.

Other than that...  how quickly my standards change.  B's used to be expected and C's were not okay.  Now C's are great, because at least I passed, and a B is the academic equivalent of a surprise box of Milk Tray.

Test craziness starts again next Tuesday.  First up: biochemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment