Wednesday, March 26

A Little More On Burnout

Thank you to everyone who reached out.  The response I got was surprising both in its volume and its sincerity, but my surprise is really just a reflection of my lack of objectivity at the moment.  In reality, I know a lot of cool people.  I have done some reaching out myself of late, and I'm working on finding good outlets and learning to do my part to lift this darkness.

Speaking of.  Been doing a lot of digging over the last few weeks regarding depression and physician burnout, and surprise! there's not a lot out there.  But it seems to be something people are talking about more in other fields.  I found one person's observations particularly useful.  His name is Carey Nieuwhof; he's a pastor so his insight is based in the field of Christian ministry, but what he says holds universal value.  Below are some posts of his; the things he says align with what I've read elsewhere and add his really honest tale of wrestling with these same symptoms and coming out on the other side.  I'm putting these links here partly for my own reference and partly because, as I said before, I'm not that special so I doubt I'm the only person wrestling with this.

Pre-burnout warning signs

You're probably burned out if...

Damn it, you're already out of gas.  Now what?

If I can ask for prayer, please pray that I would be able to complete my work properly.  It's very hard to find the motivation to stay on top of the more tedious parts of my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment